Saturday, March 13, 2010

A little scrappin’

I love to scrapbook and am usually very good about keeping up with the kids and the pictures so that I don’t get years behind in making  getting a scrapbook done for every year for my kids. Lately, however, I have just not had the motivation or the time due to a number of reasons.

It really has been a shame that I have not had the time to scrapbook considering that my Christmas present from my husband was the new Gypsy by Cricut. If you are not a scrapper then you can click here for a description of this fabulous little device. The Gypsy along with my  Cricut makes scrapping so much easier and enjoyable and a little less expensive because I really no longer need to buy things like stickers and die cuts.

I was finally able to take the time and actually had a few clever ideas for the pictures I had and with the help of my new toy came up with some pretty cute pages.100_1052

Everything on this Tree Monkey layout was cut using the Gypsy and Cricut machines. You might say I went a little overboard, but it is so nice to be able to design your titles and embellishments so easily.

100_1054

The How Does Your Garden Grow layout didn’t come out as spectacularly as I thought it might due in large part to the second page. I spent all my energy making the little basket full of fruits and vegetables that I just wanted to get it done. A lot of the times I don’t really plan out the pages and tend to cut and glue as I go. I found out the hard way that this is usually how I ruin a spread, but still seem to fall back into the same pattern over and over.

100_1057You can see that all the little fruits and vegetables are separate pieces and are also made up of two layers as well. If I would have thought it out a little more, I would have made the basket bigger as well as the contents so I wouldn’t have to cut out as much as it is a very tedious job.

100_1061

This Puddles layout was a little easier to do. Oddly enough, it was the frames that took me the longest because I cut out each one to size according to the picture. The rain drops are a part of the frame and then were cut out separately in a different color and glued on. I tried to get the caption box to look like a giant clump of rain drops, but I was not very pleased with the result. I think one giant rain drop might have been better.

100_1060

This Baby Dragon layout I just completed today. I had the pictures laying out for awhile, but inspiration never hit me until earlier this evening. Jack loves dragons and it occurred to me that lizards are like a modern day dragon, just smaller. I used a template for the scale like background and sponged green ink on the green background to give it a little depth. The vine on either side of the layout is one of the Ellison die cuts. I have to admit that this is one of my favorite layouts I have done in a long time.

100_1051The little tag has writing on the back so you can pull it out when you want to read it, but I like the way the page stays clean with it tucked away.

100_1050The title I cut out with the Gypsy and Cricut and once again combined the lizard in with the title and then cut it out separately in a different color in order to make gluing it on the page easier.

It was so nice to be able to be a little creative again after such a long dry spell. I am still way behind on my pictures and really have no idea the dates or order that these pages need to go in, but at least it is a start.

1 comment:

Amaryllis said...

Fantabulous!!! I really need to get one of those things then you can come and teach me how to use it!!!