So I just wanted to put my two cents in here about the election and voting and such. I wanted to relate a story that happened in my break room at work that really made me glad that I had voted. On one occasion as about five to seven people were in the break room the discussion turned to politics as it occasionally does during this time of year and everyone was putting their comments in and giving their opinions on some of the Propositions that we would be voting on during the election, i.e., Prop 8, Prop D, etc. One girl in particular was very against having Prop 8 pass (the right to gay marriage) and also for the Prop that allows animals that are raised for consumption to be treated humanely. I will not give my opinion on either of these, nor will I say whether I agree or disagree with her as this is not the point.
The point is that after all her voluminous argument pro or con she concludes her arguments with the statement, "... But I don't vote."
"WHAT!!"
How can you possibly have an opinion so strong and then give up your chance to voice that opinion when the opportunity presents itself? I admit that I was not a voter in the past because of laziness and the belief that my being registered to vote had some type of effect on the amount of times I have been called to jury duty (this I can discuss at a later date). However, I was also under the impression that since I did relinquish my privilege to vote that I had no say in things that pertained to outcomes of said vote nor could I rely on the people of this nation for the outcome that I thought would be correct. In short, I could not complain because I did not make a difference.
I have changed my ways and am proud to say that I have been a registered voter for a while. I would also like to add that although I was not present in the break room when this incident occurred, there were several (meaning all) voters who were present and in their mind enough to tell this person that her opinion does not count and that she should politely shut up.
Bethlehem Skyline (alcohol ink)
3 weeks ago
4 comments:
I completely agree. Did you read James' post on voting? If nothing else, it gives you the right to complain more so than if you do nothing about whatever is coming up. I am getting better about being informed on all levels. It doesn't work to be informed on the national level and then get confronted with 10 local or state issues that I know nothing about. I voted blind once. Never again.
I did read James' post on his blog. I tried hard to really read what each of the prop's were about and vote to the best of my ability. It is hard because some of the prop's are written in such a way as to confuse people to vote the opposite way then what they want to vote.
This election was a difficult one for me at every level. i didn't feel truly informend on a lot of things and I had to hurry out of town for a wedding that day. For all the things going on, I did make the effort to vote. I am not happy with all my choices nor all the outcomes. 4 years isn't really that long of time. Kate will be 7!
I am glad I voted.
I am not completely satisfied with the outcome of the votes either, but at least I did my part to make a difference.
Post a Comment