I have to admit that it was incredibly difficult getting the yard level enough to put in wood for the box. Andy dug most of it out and I tried my best to get the sides straight so that we wouldn't have to fill it in much to make it stay put. The kids helped by picking out the rocks from the dirt we were going to reuse.
They were more hindrance then help, but it made them feel good to be part of the action, plus it is good for them to work a little. You can see how dead our yard is compared to a few months ago when the weather was moist and the grass was a lush green. Summer is good in San Diego for some things, but because we don't want to waste water on a lawn that will die eventually anyway, ours goes earlier than most. The only thing we use the water for is our garden.
Nothing is nailed in. It is all pretty much just buried and the outside wall is held in with stakes. We don't like to invest too much into a house that we are only renting. So we try to use what we have without buying too much. We did buy some soil to fill in the box as the dirt in our yard is terrible, but Andy found a pretty good deal at the Home Depot.
This is the finished product. We put more strawberries in with the hopes that they will do better with more sunlight and we also planted carrot seeds. The package on the seeds said they were guaranteed to grow so we'll see how they do.
Most of this is thanks to my handy man husband, but lest we forget that I actually do some of the work but am not pictured because I am behind the camera, here is my proof.
You can see the blister is circled. That's from digging and evening out the ground. I am also the person who does most of the weeding. I got another one on the inside of my left thumb, but I couldn't get a good picture of it.
4 comments:
Your Garden is amazing. I think I would do more if I was in our own house to, and if it was in a fenced area so that Kathryn could be out there with me. All your plants look great. I'm jealous of your tomatoe plants. none of mine grew. My neighbors let me have a couple of their home grown tomatoes. so I had a tomatoe and cucumber sandwich today! LOVED it!
WE've had swiss chard again for dinner. I love having food in the yard!
I don't even know what Swiss chard is but you make it sound good. I have yet to be able to actually eat any of the tomatoes or cucumbers, but am certainly looking forward to it.
Can't wait till we can start our garden!!
You are doing such a great job!
Thanks. Kind of makes me sad that we did all this work and will be leaving it in about 5 months, but boy am I excited!
Post a Comment