Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Update on our little garden

First a little update on how our garden is doing. The cucumbers seem to be doing great... so great in fact that we had to fence them off from the strawberries and the tomato plant so they don't overrun them. That's a good thing though, because I really like cucumbers and so do my kids.

Sad to report that the strawberries and the onions don't seem to be doing so well. Maybe they don't get enough sunlight where they are or maybe the ground is too hard for them to do much; whatever the reason they seem to not be growing very much at all. The strawberries are at least flowering and we will probably get a few that are edible in a couple weeks. The onions, I found out today, have been run over several times by Alex and his little trucks, as he uses this area to turn around in when he is driving on the sidewalk. This may be a huge reason as to why they don't grow.

The corn is doing excellent and I hope to get enough grown that we can give a little bit of it away. I really can not wait until we can have fresh corn on the cob. I did have to prop up one of the stalks as some little boy felt the need to roll over that one also. Hopefully it will survive. If it does we can label these as Alex proof corn.

I had Jack come out and stand by the sunflowers again so we could measure how tall they had grown since the last post. They are now completely over his head. The corn by the sunflowers will probably have to be thinned out again before too long as they are getting quite big and are in such a small space.
The tomato plant now has two big tomatoes on it as well as five small ones. I found another small one laying on the ground about a foot away from the plant that I can only assume Alex worked his plant magic on. I think I want at least one more tomato plant, possibly in a pot that can be moved to follow the sun so it does a little better.

No comments: