Okay, so I know this probably isn’t the most interesting news for many of you out there, but I am just too darn excited that we got as lucky as we did. For the past two years I have tasked my husband in finding me a nice usable old fashioned wood card catalog so that i can have it for my scrapbooking. Well, my friends, that time has finally arrived!
Shortly before Andy was to make a four day trip to come for a visit here in Wisconsin, he happened to look online at Craiglist in Chicago and found and add for a card catalog that stated it was in nearly perfect condition. There were no pictures posted, but he immediately called me and had me check it out.
The lady we bought it from was very nice right from the start and sent me pictures of it right away. The pictures were great and we agreed to meet halfway between Chicago and Milwaukee to make the transaction. When we finally got it home and cleaned up it was even better then we hoped it to be.
It was just beautiful. I’m not quite sure what kind of wood it is made out of, but it is solid wood and no laminate like I remember in the library of my childhood. There are some minor scratches on it in a few places, but the majority of wear seems to be on the front legs near the bottom, probably from vacuums and feet kicking it. There is a little metal plate on the top middle that says Remington Rand Library Bureau Div., but aside from a little research online that shows it might be made between 1927 and 1976, there is no date that I can find so I do not know how old it actually is.
I really could not have asked for a better piece of furniture or better job of hunting down exactly what I was looking for by my wonderful husband. If anybody knows any of the history surrounding an item like this please feel free to post a remark as I would love to know anything about it.
No comments:
Post a Comment