I know I have mentioned before how much I love Christmas and now that my oldest son is in school I have the pleasure of being able to volunteer when I can to help out and be a part of this foreign little world that exists to my son without me in it. So when the opportunity arises and the call comes for help, I try to fit volunteering at Jack’s school into my hard to manage schedule.
Upon learning that I would be helping out at his school, Jack told me that he “is getting used to me being at school.” I asked if he liked that I was there and he said that he did. Although I didn’t get to see my son or interact with him apart from him walking by and waving at me on his way to lunch, I was at least there when they needed help. I, along with three other parent volunteers, hot glued together 62 graham cracker houses to prepare them for decorating on Friday by the kindergarten classes.
I must say that it was long and tedious work and after two hours of squeezing hot glue through a difficult little gun my right hand was left practically paralyzed. It was all worth it though when he came home and the first thing he said when he walked through the door was that he saw me at his school. He said it with a smile and I couldn’t ask for anything better.
So although I can’t be there for everything, I am at least trying and my son can see that. It puts a smile on his face and that makes me happy, even as I nurse my poor sore hand.
1 comment:
It's a good activity to be at school with your son. You will always be glad you did it and so will he.
Post a Comment