We finally had our first snow and thank goodness it was a complete contrast to the first snow last year. Last year I was cursing Wisconsin because I didn’t have a snow blower and the first snow was the very wet and heavy kind that is extremely hard to shovel manually. This year was a piece of cake with the light powdery snow that gently fell from the sky. I shoveled the driveway without the use of the snow blower and even though it just covered it up over the following two hours, at least I wasn’t sore from the cleaning. Later Andy, Jack and I went back out and cleared it away again with just the shovels.
Of course, with the first snow of the year comes the super excitement from the kids about wanting to go outside and play in it even though the temperature reads a balmy 23 degrees. So on go their snow boots and jackets and hats and gloves, the snow pants came out the next day after I found them, and out they went to enjoy their day. Jack stayed out longer than Alex because his “skin is made for the cold weather” and Alex takes after his Mommy and doesn’t like being cold, but hates to miss out on the fun.
I do not like the cold, but found that it is much more manageable when you have snow pants on that keep the wind from getting to you. Maybe I can go outside more this year with this newfound knowledge and build a snowman with my kids when the snow gets a little more clumpier.
On Sunday when Daddy didn’t have to work Jack helped his Daddy clear the rest of the snow and used it to create the beginnings of his fort, which he hopes to make a little bigger after each additional snow fall. It is just big enough to fit him and his little brother Alex.
We got the boys some new snow boots this year that kept their feet extremely warm, that plus the addition of the snow pants made the winter weather tolerable enough for Alex to want to stay outside and play with his sibling and Daddy in the snow.
Afterwards they came in and were toasty warm despite the cold except for their bright red cheeks which were so cute, but really difficult to catch on camera. You can just see it on Jack’s cheek how red they were.
Looks like the boys may like spending more time outside in the winter time then they do in the summer time. I bet they won’t be able to contain themselves when it comes time to go sledding, especially since we got an all new family sized sled we can all ride on at once.
1 comment:
It's amazing what you can , or are willing to do when you have a good pair of snow pants...like camping with the boy scouts!
Post a Comment