Jack is a very lucky little boy. Not only did he make out like a bandit for Christmas (even though there might be some dispute over whether he should have actually been on the nice list), but he also had a very lucrative birthday with not just one, but three parties.
The first was the day before his birthday, which due to conflict in work schedules, had to be held a day early. His Grandparents came over with all of their gifts as well as some from Uncle Mark. The next party was at school the next day. He didn’t get presents, but he was allowed to have cupcakes as a special treat for his special day. (We later found out that the teacher no longer wanted cupcakes to be brought in, so it looks like he was the last to be able to do this. Whoops.) The third was his party that we planned at a little place called Kids in Motion.
The party was fantastic. Kids in Motion is an indoor play area that has all kinds of different rooms for the children to do things like construction, dress up, laser tag, science projects, shopping, etc. In the middle is a big room that has a giant play set like you would see at McDonald's, only on a much grander scale. They provided us a room for the cake and ice-cream as well as a craft project. They handled the clean up, gave us a picture CD that the hostess had taken the entire time we were there, thank you notes, and also a t-shirt for the birthday boy who got to put his handprint on the wall and sign his name.
Needless to say, it was a roaring success. The kids, which consisted of my two boys and eight of Jack’s classmates (boys only) ran themselves completely crazy. I had originally thought about having a small party at my house, but after seeing the energy that these kids displayed, was incredibly thankful that they were loose in a contained but well provisioned area.
We decided to not open the presents while at the party because the kids had barely sat still long enough for the craft project and the cake, which was ice-cream cake. I also figured no kid really wants to sit there and watch another child get all kinds of presents while they just sit there getting nothing.
Afterwards we went home (again, leaving the clean-up to the hostess was my favorite part, though I did try to help as much as I could with ten screaming children around) and Jack got to open all the presents from his friends as well as the ones from his daddy and mommy and Grandma Olive.
I would have to say that until he gets older, having the party at a venue other than our home is going to be my first choice. It was a little costly, but well worth the price we paid for what we got. The kids enjoyed themselves immensely and it was pretty nice just getting to sit there and watch the children run crazy.
I still can’t believe my child is six years old. You never believe it when people say that time flies until it actually does. For just a small portion of time when I was paying the bill for the party did it cross my mind that I can’t believe I spent that kind of money, but then I think to myself that I would rather spend it on them now when they truly get joy out of it then later on when they are teenagers and feel they are entitled to it.
No comments:
Post a Comment