Saturday, January 15, 2011

Seems I’m Way Too Busy

So, I just realized the other day that I had not posted anything about our actual Christmas time this year. I say Christmas time because it was way more than just one day. Anyway, I can not believe that I completely missed writing about this time of the year. I wrote around it. I wrote leading up to it and I wrote after it. I just didn’t remember to include it. I am going to remedy that now because it is a Christmas that I will remember and want to keep remembering.101_3181

Last year I had so wanted my Mom (and Dad, but due to health issues pretty impossible) to come spend Christmas at my house as I have not had Christmas with them in over ten years. Well, my Mom had already promised one of my other sisters to go to her house so that never happened. (I’m talking about you Amaryllis. Smile) So this was the year that I decided I would not give in and I did everything in my power to get my Mom to Wisconsin for Christmas. I succeeded and even got one of my brother’s for a little while as well. I did feel a little bad taking her away from the rest of the family during the holiday season, but justified that with the fact that she is my Mom too and both myself and my kids deserve to spend time with her. (Sorry guys, but it’s true.)101_3242

They were both able to use my flight benefits to catch a free ride out here and since they both had to be back at a specific time, I used a voucher that Andy had gotten when he was travelling back and forth to San Diego and had given up his seat, to buy their return flights.

Jared got to stay for about a week and my Mom got to stay for two. I have to say that I really am happy they decided to come because it is no easy feat for them to get here or get back even taking into consideration the free flight accommodations. They must first drive to St. George, then take a three hour shuttle ride to Las Vegas, and then a four hour flight to Milwaukee. This adventure had to begin early in the morning in order to ensure the best possible odds for being able to catch a flight as well as time spent just waiting around for the flights or the shuttle to leave. So I know it was incredibly fatiguing to even try to come and visit and I really appreciate it.101_3239

We didn’t get to do a lot of activities as the time that they were here I did have to work , but I did have a few days off to spend with them and we made it out to the Museum as well as a huge dinner at an Italian restaurant called Di Carlo’s.

My Mom stayed through to Christmas Day and got to spend some time Andy’s family and get to know them a little bit, which was nice because she only really knows what I tell her or post on here and I think has only met them one other time when she helped me move up here. She also got to spend a lot of time with my kids who were just a little shy about her as they were very small when she would come and help us out with our scheduling conflicts when we lived in California and did not really remember her. It didn’t take long for both of them to warm up to her and feel comfortable talking her ear off, but because they are big boys and don’t like to be hugged and kissed even by their Mommy sometimes, they just wouldn’t stand to be hugged. (I think I die a little every time they tell me no.)101_3200

We ended up having three Christmas’ when all was said and done. The first was Christmas Eve at Andy’s parents house where we mostly opened the presents from Ann, Bob, and Mark to the kids and to Andy and I. Then there was Christmas morning where it was the kids turn to open the gifts from Santa. I also had a special gift for Mom. Unfortunately, my Mom was scheduled to go back on the afternoon flight and we had to cut the celebration short so I could get her to the airport on time. 101_3290

Her flight went well, but when she got to the airport the shuttle back to St. George didn’t leave for about four hours, so she didn’t get home until well past midnight. I wasn’t kidding when I said it was a real hassle for her to visit. I am fairly certain she could drive to any of my brother’s or sister’s houses and get there in less time than it takes to come see me, so I truly appreciate every single time she comes.101_3270

Afterwards, we went back to Andy’s parent’s house and were visited by three more Christmas spirits in the form of a sister-in-law, Meg, and her boyfriend Steve, and also a nephew, Dave. a few more gifts were unwrapped and we were all gifted out. We had some food. We talked. We laughed. We watched TV. We stayed up late. We were exhausted. All in all it was a fun time.

101_3272

So thank you Mom for going through all that effort to come and see me and my family and spend the holidays with us.101_3245          

                                   (Ugly sweater contest)

   101_3254

Alex is (finally) Iron Man. Guess who wouldn’t take off his Iron Man costume for the next couple of days?

1 comment:

Amaryllis said...

First, I have to say I love you!

Second, Mom didn't come to my house for Christmas. Only the boys did, and not Mori...sad face..

Third, You have just as much right to have mom for Christmas as everybody else.

Fourth, Its a 15 hour drive to my house from mom's.. can't fly.. It would take about as long and cost more...

and Fifth, My sweater still wins! LOL!!

Love you tons!!