For nearly a year now we have had a giant gaping hole in our main hallway that we have not had time to finish or at least make look decent. The hallway has been a huge eyesore nearly since the time we moved into this house. The previous owners had for whatever reason put up this hideous green, white and gold wallpaper which was then textured over with a very abrasive sand finish and painted a brownish color. The color I actually kind of liked, but it hurt to lean or brush against the walls because the sand texturing was so abrasive it would scratch you or catch on your clothes.
When Andy redid the bedroom he opened up the hallway bathroom, which was only a half bath, in order to move the door to the bathroom to the bedroom so that it could eventually be made into a master bathroom. Of course, other projects of greater importance kept popping up and the bathroom is still a long way off from being done, but we did finally get around to doing something about the hallway.
This is what the hallway has looked like when we first tore everything down. There used to be a door where now there is only open hall. You can see the line of destruction that starts on the floor and goes all the way up and across the ceiling and ends on the floor on the other side.The door was moved to the wall on the left which goes into the bedroom.
Then in September, Andy was finally able to find time between all of the other things he had going on to put the frame up for what would be our new master bath. While this made it very convenient for the little boys to run and use the toilet, it was hard for me to look at on a continual basis. This is exactly how it stayed until last week when we finally got around to closing off this big gaping hole at the end of our hallway.
So a little drywall, primer, texture, and paint later we have a complete hallway that I think looks like it has always been there.
See, I do help. I did all the painting with the roller and Andy did the little detail work. You can see from the original picture above that the paint color we chose is not too different from what it was originally. Like I said before, I liked the color I didn’t like the texture.
In the picture above you can see the diagonal wall that comes off the kitchen. My talented husband, at my request, extended the wall out so that I could have a bigger shower in the bathroom.
This is the finished hallway. We will have to wait to out the remaining molding around the floor area to the new wall as we are going to be changing it all out anyway and there is no point in buying something to match now to change it later. Besides, I think I want a small built in book case right below that picture. It turned out really well and we are all very pleased with the results.
On a side note, Andy was also cleaning out the garage for another project he had to do and was able to find the original basement door. So we cleaned it if and out it back up and now we don’t have to look at the hideous unfinished stairwell that leads to our much-in-need-of-an-update basement.
This is what we look at every time we came into the house. There are actually stairs there, not just a big hole, b t it still is hideous.
Now that there is a door there, it doesn't bother me until I have to actually go down into the basement. Plus, as an added bonus, I can shut the door when the kids are down there to drowned out all the noise they make.
Two more project down and only an infinite amount left to accomplish.
No comments:
Post a Comment