Friday, June 5, 2009

Fruits of our labor

We finally did it! We were finally able to grow something big enough to pick from our garden and actually eat. We got four, count them, FOUR cucumbers that are big and ripe and delicious from our garden. How exciting!

101_0075

The two smaller ones are from one plant and the larger one is from another plant. The smaller one is only about five inches long. Not very big, but I didn’t think it was going to grow very much more because it was so fat. Not pictured is the one that we scarfed down last night for dinner. MMMM tasty! I must say that they taste different then any I have purchased in the grocery store and I am unclear as to why. Perhaps it is because we did not use pesticides or other chemicals in the growth of these lovely fruits or maybe it was because they are so fresh. Whatever the reason, it was delicious and hopefully there will be more to come.

Jack loved the cucumber and even asked for seconds. Alex ate it but more because it was crunchy then because he liked it as much as Jack.

For those of you who noticed, yes I did call it a fruit. Fruits have seeds in the plant. Vegetables do not. Therefore, cucumbers, tomatoes, and eggplants are fruits and carrots, lettuce, and potatoes are vegetables… And before anyone mentions the banana, it is a fruit. All those little dark spots inside the core are seeds.

2 comments:

Amaryllis said...

mmmmm!!! wishing I was enjoying the fruits of your labor too!!!!

Jessalee said...

I have only had a little bit of it because apparently Jack can inhale cucumbers in 3.2 seconds.